Remember a few months ago when Hailey Bieber decided that everyone’s face should look like a glazed donut? We sure do. But if you aren’t as in tune with current skin care trends, fear not – we are here to help guide you through what is known as having a ~glazed face.~
What Is Glazed Donut Skin?
There are many names for this ongoing trend, such as glazed donut face, glazed face, glazed skin, glazed donut skin. But, as you may have guessed, they all mean the same thing: getting your face to the point of having a healthy, shiny (but not greasy!) glow. All you have to do is layer your skincare in such a way that will make your face look like it’s glistening, without use of makeup.
How Did The Trend Start?
View this post on Instagram
Having a glazed face is nothing new to the world of skincare. In fact, the glazed face trend is quite similar to South Korea’s own skincare trend of glass skin, where you’d try to get your face looking as moisturized and healthy as possible through use of various products. The glazed donut skin trend made its mark in 2022 when Hailey Bieber posted a photo on Instagram with the caption “glazed [donut emojis] skin all 2022. tell a friend.”
How To Get Glazed Donut Skin
There is no set of products that are made for skin glazing in particular, because all it takes is a basic routine with products that have ingredients that will aid in moisturizing your skin.
- Step 1: Double cleanse. You heard me, wash that beautiful face of yours twice. Start off first with an oil cleanser to ensure breakdown of any oil based products that you may be wearing. Next, wash as you normally would with a gentle facial cleanser of your choice to get off any remaining oil, dirt, etc.
- Step 2: Exfoliate. You want to get rid of dead skin cells that have accumulated on your face and replace them with newer and younger skin cells. To ensure that you are not over exfoliating, it is best to keep this step to one to two times a week. If your exfoliant has less concentration and is not as powerful, you can use it more frequently.
- Step 3: Use a toner or essence. Using a toner or essence will act as the first step to start hydrating your skin.
- Step 4: Use a serum or face oil. Serums and face oils are extremely hydrating, and if the right products are used, such as those loaded with antioxidants (which help slow the aging process and protect skin from environmental stressors), your skin will absolutely adore you.
- Step 5: Moisturize. Using a moisturizer will add on that final layer of moisture that will really lock in that glazed look for your face.
- Step 6: Sunscreen. You should always be wearing sunscreen. We’ve gone over this. Just do it, okay?
So, how can you get started in your journey to having glazed skin? Here are a few product recs that you can add into your everyday skin routine to ensure you achieve that hydrated look.
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
This liquid exfoliant from Paula’s Choice has salicylic acid, which helps unclog those pores and wipe out those whiteheads. Green tea helps fight off aging, while the addition of Methylpropanediol hydrates and adds glow.
Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask
Youth to the People’s night time moisturizer hydrates your skin with its blend of berries and vitamin C. The “superberry” blend, as YTTP calls it, is a mix of antioxidant-rich berries that will hydrate and fight free radicals, aka unstable molecules in your skin that damage and break down collagen. Vitamin C will brighten and firm your skin as it triggers your skin to produce more collagen. As one of the last steps to your routine, you get that (glazed donut) glow.
Eudermine Revitalizing Essence
Shiseido’s Revitalizing Essence is great in getting a glazed look with its hyaluronic acid, an ingredient helpful in hydrating the face and making your skin’s moisture barrier stronger, therefore locking in that hydration. The Eudermine Essence also has trimethylglycine (TMG) and biocompatible amino acids that excel in skin cell regeneration, both of which are great in making your skin plump and free of impurities.
The Dewy Serum Resurfacing and Plumping Treatment
Tatcha’s Dewy Serum is loaded with great ingredients that will contribute to a moisturized face. Its two key ingredients: lactic acid and squalane. Lactic acid is another ingredient that is excellent for skin cell turnover and will minimize your face’s fine lines and wrinkles. Squalane is a component that will lock in any moisture and keep your skin donut-like and hydrated throughout the day.
Are you getting in on the glazed donut skin trend? How do you achieve a glazed face? Tell us in the comments!